Drain issues are one of the most common—and inconvenient—problems any homeowner can experience. According to the Scott Clog Clinic, every year, one in five Americans have dealt with a clogged toilet. If you’re one of the unfortunate people who have experienced a clog or other drain issues you know how messy, expensive and time consuming they can be. Without preventative care your drains are ticking time bombs, waiting for one clog too many to backfire.
The easiest way to keep your drain repair affordable is to use preventative measures to keep them healthy. That is why we want to share with you 5 easy ways to keep your drains unclogged and prevent damage:
For your sink
- Pour a handful of baking soda into the drain and follow it with hot water. Baking soda acts as a cleaning agent and is great for absorbing foul odors.
- Pour 1 cup of vinegar down the drain and let it sit for 30 minutes; then chase it down with very hot water. Vinegar’s acetic acid acts as an excellent organic solvent to remove organic buildup of crud in pipes.
For your Toilet
- Install a flushing cleaner in the cistern. These are easily found in stores and ensure that your toilet gets cleaned each time you flush.
For your shower
- Soften your water; if your water has a high mineral content it can shorten your plumbing’s lifespan.
- Once every six months, hire a plumbing technician to snake your home’s drain lines for any buildups that can lead to a clog.
How to know if there’s a bigger issue:
Preventive care will keep your plumbing system in good shape, and keep drain repairs affordable. The better you are at taking care of your drain pipes, the easier it will be to deal with bigger issues in the future.
However, no matter how much preventive measures you take, sometimes pipes just fail. Keep your eye out for the following signs of major pipe problems. If you notice any of these, call A1 Plumbing for a diagnostic visit.
- Water stains: If water stains appear on your walls or ceilings call A1 Plumbing immediately. You may have a leaking pipe that is quickly causing water and possibly mold damage to your home.
- Low water pressure: If your faucet has much less water pressure than normal, call to make sure it is not connected to a larger problem like a pressured valve malfunction.
- Loud water heater noises: Your tank may need to be drained or replaced.
- Water near water heater: Your tank runs the risk of bursting the older it gets, and can flood homes if not replaced.
- Odd water puddles. Plumbing water should not be puddled under your sink, in your garage or any place that is not a water fixture. If you have a small leak, it could become large and expensive very quickly. Call Aramendia immediately.
- You smell something foul. This can be a result of a hidden leak or clogged drain, and could lead to mold.
If you ever need to call a plumbing contractor, make sure it is one you trust. At A1 Plumbing we are dedicated to providing customers with honest plumbers who perform quality work at a reasonable price. Our trenchless pipe technology allows us to fix any pipe problems without digging up your yard, which saves you time and money. Trenchless Sewer replacements are up to 50% less expensive than traditional excavations and come with a 25 year guarantee, now that’s a deal you can’t pass up.
Call us at (775) 746-5900. You can also contact us to schedule an appointment.